What is a Retina Test?
A healthy retina is essential to maintaining clear vision and overall eye function. A retinal examination consists of several tests which allow your doctor to evaluate the back of your eye, including the retina, the optic disk and the underlying layer of blood vessels that nourish the retina (choroid). During a retinal exam in Las Vegas, our doctors will perform a series of diagnostic procedures in order to evaluate your retina for any sign of disease or abnormality.
Retina tests may include:
- Fundus Photography: Fundus photography uses specialized film and digital cameras to document abnormalities in the retina. It is important in following the progress of certain retinal diseases and to monitor treatment.
- Fluorescein Angiography: Fluorescein angiography is a test used to examine blood vessels in the retina. This procedure involves the injection of a vegetable-based fluorescein dye into the blood stream. As the blood circulates through the retina, a series of rapid, sequential photographs are taken of the eye. This commonly performed test provides useful anatomic and functional information about the retina and is one of the most important tools in the diagnosis and treatment of retinal disorders.
- OCT: Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) is a non-invasive imaging technique relying on low coherence interferometry to generate cross-sectional imagery of ocular tissues. Cross-sectional visualization is an extremely powerful tool in the identification and assessment of retina abnormalities.
- Visual Field: Visual field testing is a sophisticated, automated computerized vision test that measures both central and peripheral vision/visual function. It is essential in monitoring glaucoma and it is a useful ancillary test to diagnose, document or treat neurologic or retinal disease
- B-scan Ultrasound: B-scan ultrasound is a method for viewing the structures at the back of the eye through the use of high frequency sound waves. This technology provides a topographical view of the eye with information that is not otherwise possible.
At the completion of your exam in Las Vegas, our doctors will take the time to discuss the results of the retina tests. If you are due for an examination, contact Retina Consultants of Nevada today at 702-369-0200 or website to schedule an appointment.